Playing soccer has been a gift. Being smart has been a choice. A movement for those who have chosen to be smart in their lives...

Monday, January 3, 2011

Behind Every Smart Man...

...A Tribute to My 'Moms'

I was raised by mom, a woman who put herself through college while raising four children. Growing up I realized that to get ahead you had to use your head. I knew that I wanted to be somebody that made a difference, I didn't know how or where I would make a difference, but I knew I had to expand my exposure to the world to figure it out.

I always knew that I wanted to play sports at the next level and often dreamed of what the success would feel like. I immersed myself in sports and became extremely passionate about soccer. Soccer opened up a new environment outside of my neighborhood, a neighborhood where cool was hanging on the corner. Somewhere along this journey I realized the importance of the lessons mom was instilling in me. She would tell me that I didn't have to settle that I could be and do whatever I wanted. She told me I needed to pay attention to my surroundings, that I needed to do the right thing even when no one was looking. She also told me that I had choices, that I needed to make education decisions about the directions I would choose and that I was a role model to my younger brothers and sisters.

My mom was an educator for 35 years and recognized the power of education, so she pushed me to maximize my potential in the classroom. I knew that if I didn't pass my classes that I would not have any chance to experience sports at the collegiate level. It wasn't until my college days that I fully realized that truly being smart was having a well-rounded education that would give me great opportunity to taste success beyond soccer and beyond college. I realized I was smarter than I thought and I also realized that being armed with a degree was not enough, I had to blend everything that I experienced into creating the guy that I wanted to be. Being smart included my mother's wisdom, my college education, my street smarts and my street credibility. I knew I did not know it all, but the multi-faceted education I had provided me with the confidence that I could learn anything, that my future would be full of new learning experiences, and that I would accomplish good things.

So here is what I know to be true: being smart is the confidence to dream big and then take the right steps to make those dreams happen. I am proud that I will pass on my knowledge to not only my own children, but the children I come in contact with in my community and my job, in hopes that as many children as possible will raise the bar and have 'a dream'.


Another Smart Fellow,
Smitty



Rob is a father, husband and community leader and advocate. He currently serves as the Philadelphia Union's Vice President of Soccer Development in Chester, PA. He has previously held positions as a coach and administrator for FC DELCO, one of the premiere soccer clubs in the nation, and as an executive for NIKE.

2 comments:

  1. Very well written and oh so true. I am glad that you recognized the importance of an education and the role your mom played in aiding you to set and achieve your educational goals.
    Our parents are our most profound teachers and they can impact our lives positively or negatively by imparting their beliefs and attitudes about the world to us. You are one of the fortunate ones; you benefited from your mom's attitude about education and life in general.
    What a nice tribute to her. She was a hell of a lady, and now you have become a hell of a man, partly because of her and her love for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smitty,
    Prior to reading this I had know all of this about you and always have known that we shared so many like experiences and have grown to be such good friends partly from things like this that we hardly ever discuss as men, but we know it's there because of the way we reference things. Thank you for sharing this, hopefully it will be read by many.....
    P

    ReplyDelete