Playing soccer has been a gift. Being smart has been a choice. A movement for those who have chosen to be smart in their lives...

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Power of Expectations: Omar's Story...


I grew up the youngest of five, in a single-parent household and attended a public school in North Philadelphia. I experienced everything you would guess came along with those social status--poverty, violence, despair and the loss of family and friends. While the odds were against me at a young age, I had several things going for me that contributed to my success and determination. For one, I was part of a loving family. Secondly, i was always a good student, in fact, I was a straight A student and the Valedictorian of my high school graduating class. I was also a good athlete, an All-City basketball player, and City of Philadelphia best student-athlete my senior year. Lastly, I was a big dreamer. I always though there was more to life than the small world I was exposed to as a youngster in Philadelphia.




I used my education as a springboard for everything in my life. Through much hard work and a little luck, I attended some of the best schools in the country. I realized that there is a certain confidence and strength in education. Sort of like that personal joke that no one else understands but always makes you smile. As you advance academically, you begin to see yourself differently and others notice the change and respond. I heard someone say recently, "children are a product of expectations-what they expect from themselves, and what others expect of them. The advice I offer young people is to push yourself in the classroom, expect the best of yourself and those around you and preserve the ability to dream. No matter what your circumstances, do not let those 'dream killers' convince you that you can't accomplish something that you set your mind to do.






Omar
'Another Smart Guy'






Omar is a financial analyst with a masters in business. He is a proud husband and father of three and volunteers as a coach in his community in order to impact and inspire as many young people as possible.






No comments:

Post a Comment