Playing soccer has been a gift. Being smart has been a choice. A movement for those who have chosen to be smart in their lives...

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Embracing Second Chances--Davone Bess' Story

Everything that you do presents an opportunity to learn.  Take a moment to reflect back on your life and think to yourself; How did I get to the point to where I am today? Was there a defining moment that occurred in your life that you can remember and could that moment be the reason you're in this position today? For Davone Bess, age 25, his life experiences, particularly the harsh and painful ones, have given him opportunities to learn and grow into the man he is today. Bess is a prime example of perseverance, focus and optimism, and getting back up after you fall down. 

“I am one of the starting wide receivers in the NFL for the Miami Dolphins,” said Davone Bess. and it's something that I always wanted to do. I grew up playing football, baseball and basketball, and my goal, my dream was to always become a professional athlete.”  That dream of becoming a professional athlete became a reality when Bess was signed as an undrafted rookie free agent by the Miami Dolphins in 2008, after a stellar college career at the University of Hawaii.  

During his three years in Hawaii, Bess put together excellent receiving numbers and quickly became quarterback Colt Brennan’s 'go to' receiver. As a freshman he caught 89 passes for 1,124 yards and 14 touchdowns and was named First team All Conference along with Conference Freshman of the Year. He improved on those numbers his sophomore year by catching 94 passes for 1,220 yards and 15 touchdowns earning First Team All Conference honors. In his final season in Hawaii Bess caught 108 passes for 1,266 yards and 12 touchdowns while gaining National attention the Associated Press named him to the All American Team along with his third consecutive First Team All conference honors.  

These stats and accolades gained by Bess are impressive. They become even more impressive if you go back into his life just a few years prior to his arrival to the Aloha State. Bess is a native of Oakland, CA and grew up with his mother and brother not very far from the Oakland Coliseum, home of the Oakland Raiders. This part of Oakland is known for its negative reputation, and its ‘mean streets’. And like many other young men growing up in these communities, Bess’ living environment presented him with negative opportunities and obstacles.

“There were a whole lot of obstacles that I had to overcome. The first one was that my mom gave birth to me when she was 15 years old. She was a kid having a kid.” Bess explains. “She then had my brother at the age of 17. So here is this young African American woman with two kids by the age of 18. The odds of being successful were against us-- my mom not having an education, not really having the opportunity to go to college, living off of governmental assistance-- it was a set up for failure.” Bess was forced to meet these obstacles face to face on a daily basis as a child growing up. Instead of using those obstacles as a crutch or an excuse to fail, he decided to look in different ways to overcome the potential trap that many black males get caught in.

“I have always believed in a higher power and that God puts everybody in certain situations for a reason.” Bess said. “I have had a lot of people that were influential in my life. People that helped me overcome because I definitely could not have done it by myself. I reached out to people when I needed them and those people never failed me.”  To dodge some of the pressures of the streets, Bess focused his attention to sports and athletics. He attended and graduated from Skyline High School, where he was a star athlete in football, baseball and basketball. During his senior year he earned his first scholarship to Oregon State. However, his dreams of becoming an Oregon Beaver were soon shattered. Bess he lost his scholarship after allowing a 'friend' to put stolen items in his car. His bad choice earned him over a year and a half of incarceration at the  Byron Boys Ranch Juvenile Facility in Byron, California.

  
During his time in the juvenile facility, Bess played on a seven man flag football team created by the facility. He devoted his time to focusing on his future, listening to advice from his counselors, and trying to be a positive role model for his peers at Byron. Bess often sought advice from and share his dreams with probation counselor Glenn Woods. Woods reflects back on the time when Bess initially entered the facility.  “The first time I met Davone, I saw a very mature person,” Woods recalled. “He was down about his situation but after talking with him, he understood that he had to do the time and focus on getting out. He talked about wanting to get into a university and make better choices, when he was released from the facility. He got into a workout regime and he would go out there daily and give it his all. I used to tell him to slow down but he kept telling me that this was something that he had to do. He would get up early to go and workout for two to three hours a day--he was extremely focused.”
 
During his incarceration, Bess would also realize his desire to help others. The younger kids preferred to come to him for advice before going to their counselors. He was viewed by all as a positive influence on the younger guys.  “A lot of the Wards would go outside when they saw Davone and wanted to do what he was doing. He was a very good leader and would always offer positive advice to other kids.” Woods said. “At times, when the kids doing inappropriate things, I would go to Davone and have him talk to them. He talked to the kids when they were upset and knew how to calm them down. He was very positive, focused and routinely displayed great leadership qualities. It was amazing to see some of the stuff that he would do and how advanced he was. I always told him that he was going to make it and to keep his head up. It was no surprise when he got released when I seen that he going to Hawaii. He was a sharp kid.”

 This advice that he gave to these young kids still remains in the heart and mind of Bess. He continues to impact the lives of young people and people who may be in a bad place. His background and experiences allows for him to relate to many people on many different levels. He advises everyone to stick to their dreams and have faith in God.  “When you are a teenager peer pressure is really big,” Bess explained. “Making that transition from middle to high school is really hard as far as picking and choosing your friends.”  “Stick to your dreams and surround yourself around positive people that want to be productive in society, friends who want to go to college that want to do positive things with their life even if society has told them that they can’t do it.” Bess continues. “I believe in having a vision. When I was incarcerated and spent all that time in a juvenile detention facility away from my family, away from my friends, that gave me an opportunity to better myself not only as an athlete but as a human being. That was God sitting me down and asking me ‘young man what do want to do with yourself, what you want to do with your life?’ He had given me these talents and tools and I was wasting them."

Reaching out to mentors is something that is now very important to Bess. But not only reaching out, but listening to what they have to say. Smart guys are the ones that know how to take advice as well as give it.  “I think what makes me a 'smart guy' is with all the knowledge and game that I have soaked up in all the situations that I have been dealing with, I learned how to take those experiences and knowledge and run with it.” said Bess. “There are a lot of guys that experience a lot of things but don’t learn from their mistakes. I am a guy that not only learned from my mistakes but I learned from other people’s mistakes as well. I feel like a sponge, anytime I get a chance to listen to my elders, OGs, professors, people that have been in marriages over 50 plus years, I pay attention because they have nothing but game, nothing but knowledge that they want to give and I just continue to soak it up. I know that God put me in those situations and so that I could affect the lives of other people, so that is what I am all about now.”

Positively affecting lives drives Bess to continue on this path. Bess is currently putting together an All Star Basketball Jam to be held at Laney College in Oakland, CA on April 9, 2011 starting at 1:00 pm. This is the first Annual D. Bess All Star Basketball Jam. It is being put on to help raise money for the Oakland Athletic School League which is in the process of forfeiting all of its sports and after school programs due to lack of resources. “It’s looking really bad, obviously because of the recession and the economy the school district can’t afford to pay the teachers and the coaches the extra money to stay after hours with these kids.” Bess states. “As I think back to my high school experience,  if this would have happened when I was in high school and I couldn’t play sports  because of the economy, I wouldn’t be in the NFL today." 

Some of the All Stars that will be participating in the game on April 9th are Ronnie Brown, Brandon Marshall, Brian Hartline, Greg Camarillo and Paul Soliai of the Miami Dolphins, Ted Gin of the San Francisco 49ers, Dennis Dixon of the Pittsburgh Steelers, Marshawn Lynch of the Seattle Seahawks, Josh Johnson of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,Gerris Wilkerson of the New York Giants, Frank Summers of the San Diego Chargers and others, including his manager Christopher Kidawski.

“This is my way of showing my appreciation for what I did have in high school. You never realize how good something was until it is gone. It would be so unfortunate if these kids lose their sports programs, everyone knows how rough it is in the streets of Oakland with the drugs, gangs and violence. Imagine how much the crime rate would go up if there were kids not being active in sports."

Bess plans on making a difference at home and worldwide. Bess is currently scheduled to go to Costa Rica to help kids to get adequate facilities for their schools and sports programs.  Bess surprised Fennville High School in Michigan earlier this month by sending his autographed game jersey as a token of his appreciation to the school for a raffle item to raise money for Wes Leonard, who collapsed and died on the basketball court after hitting the game winning shot due to an enlarged heart.
 
Bess often reflects on his life and about how he got to where he is, and who he has become. He has become a genuine Smart Guy, despite a bumpy road to get there.  “I think if it wasn’t for me going through all that I did, if it wasn’t for me going through those hard times and overcoming those obstacles and failures, I wouldn’t be the man that I am today.”  Bess is looking forward to sharing the 'Smart Guy' philosophy with other young people in order to help them avoid some of the pitfalls that he has encountered in his life and will continue to use his life lessons to make a difference.

A Determined 'Smart Guy',
Davone



For more information about Davone Bess and D.Bess Route Foundation please friend him on facebook at www.facebook.com/dbessroute  or follow him on twitter at officialdb15. 

1 comment: