Playing soccer has been a gift. Being smart has been a choice. A movement for those who have chosen to be smart in their lives...

Monday, February 7, 2011

Leading by Example: A 'Smart Family's' Story


Zarek Valentin, 4th overall pick in 2011 MLS draft

It's no accident that Julian and Zarek Valentin have had much success so young in life. Each humble, yet confident, are quick to acknowledge those around them who help guide their journeys and encourage their dreams. It is pretty clear that 'smart guys' are a product of 'smart parents', 'smart coaches', 'smart friends', and 'smart families'.  We at 'Smart Guy' are inspired by the story of this 'smart family' and hope that you will be too...

Part I: Zarek Valentin,
 "the baby brother"

It's easy to forget when you are speaking to Zarek that he is only nineteen years old.  His list of accomplishments and accolades, his insight into goal setting and acquisition, his humility; all lore you into thinking you are speaking to a man twice his age.  But the reality is, Zarek is a 19 year old who was recently a first round draft pick for the MLS. A few months earlier he led his college team, the University of Akron, to the NCAA championship game where they clenched the title, the first in the schools history in any sport.  He has played on the US National Team for U-20, U-18, U-17 and U-15.  Zarek made the decision to leave college after his sophomore year to enter the draft after fulfilling a promise to his coach not to leave college to go pro until he had won a national championship. Done. But his things to do list is far from complete and Zarek has a solid plan for continuing his success, starting with being a good teammate to his Chivas USA team this season...

In Zarek's words:

"My goals and habits were embedded in me from such a young age.  My brother Julian set an example for me.  He is five years older than me, but wasn't mean to me and let me tag along and supported me.  We had the same soccer coach so I would show up at the big kids practice with Julian and they would let me participate.  I struggled a lot, being so much younger, but I learned a lot too.  Julian played soccer seven days a week, and I wanted to do what he did.  I wanted to get out there and be like my brothers so I practice extra hours, I would come home from practice and practice. 

I learned early that playing at a higher level means that you have to put in extra hours.  My brother always said that you have to sacrifice things to get to the next level and my mother often reminded me that the best things for you are often the hardest things to do.  Their constant advise and guidance made it okay for me to miss out on some of the typical childhood activities that were going on around me. 

In high school I was surrounded by different things, opportunities to go astray, exposure to drugs and alcohol but I knew that I had a lot going for me and I didn’t want to jeopardize it. At that point I was already in the public eye because of my accomplishments on the field and my mother often reminded me that I had a lot to loose.  'There are eyes on you because people know who you are.  You are representing a lot, don't forget that.' My friends would be out partying and I would be at soccer practice or home getting ready for a game.  But I was blessed to have friends who believed in my goals and my vision for my future.  My friends looked out for me, protecting me, and became invested in what I had to loose.  They steered me away from activities and people, parties, things they felt would jeopardize my future.  I realized that surrounding myself with guys who had the same vision as me, made good decision making a lot easier. 
Some of the most important advise I ever got growing up was to 'keep your highs low and your lows high'.  Meaning, don’t let a good day build you up to get a big head, and when you have a bad day don’t let it bring you down and make you play worse.  Ironically I was given that exact same advise this week at training camp.  I admit that I am hard on myself, and I need to learn not to let failure crush me and keep me from being level-headed.
I’ve had a different childhood than most, I was away from home a lot.  I was gone for two years in high school (participating in an intensive soccer program in Florida for promising athletes) , then home for a year and then off to college.  The academy in Florida was very strict-- curfews, mandatory meals-- it had lots of structure and it was all about sports.  That discipline helped me be prepared for each of the next steps; college and now moving to CA and going pro. 
Coming out of college to go pro was a big decision.  My brother Julian graduated from college, he declined  this exact same opportunity in order to finish school.  I promised my coach we would win a national championship before I left to go pro.  We won the national championship so I met that goal.  But know that, in leaving college, I have not forgotten my education.  I haven’t figured out everything yet but I know that I need a plan outside of soccer that includes education.  Graduating from college is something that is very important to me and I will finish. 
Now I am in the LA area playing for Chivas USA.  Fortunately, I have people out here that I know, guys I met through the national teams, college friends.  I’m already trying to figure out how to make good choices, particularly when it comes to money.  Money is my biggest transition issue right now but I know that if I think ahead I can save up money for my future.  My family has encouraged me to invest my money well and I am setting up the right support team to be able to do that successfully.
My advise for being a 'Smart Guy': you’ve got to find something you love and do it with a smile on your face.  I wanted to be a pro soccer player since I was little and was willing to make sacrifices so that nothing could stop me.  Understand that you will go through hard times but know that things will work themselves out for the best.  My mother always said, 'hard work pays off'.  She's right!"

A 'Smart Guy' from a 'Smart Family',
Zarek

Zarek at University of Akron



No comments:

Post a Comment